Wednesday 3 November 2010

Got my tablets...

When you're long term sick, the last thing you feel like doing is arguing over your tablets.  But I knew I was in for some aggro... having a rare disease means that little is actually licensed for treating it.  You have to cross-over and use drugs intended for some other condition.  Normally, that isn't a problem.  For years now, for example, drugs developed for epilepsy have been used to treat depression.    However, if the drug you are prescribed is expensive, it becomes a different game. 

Nobody wants to foot the bill.  Yes, it may help you get better - or in my case prevent me getting worse - but it's the cost, you see.  The immediate costs. The cost to me as a patient going blind, or the costs to a society where I can no longer function properly aren't even considered.  Besides, according to the media I have become just another statistic: a drain on the public purse, a scrounger.... it's too depressing to list.

I was fully expecting some aggravation with these tablets - known to be scarce, known to be expensive - the moment my consultant mentioned them.  But I rang the surgery last week and was told to phone back yesterday.  Which I did.   They said they would check it out and phone me back. 

Yes, I thought, cynically.  I can just see that happening.

And I was very pleasantly surprised.  Because a few hours later I had a phone call from one of the doctors (the doctors!!!!! ) telling me everything was sorted and the prescription written.

I could have kissed him, I really could.  Having psyched myself up with all sorts of arguments it was lovely to be proved wrong, to have things running like clockwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment